Friday 1 November 2013

Confessions of a Personal Trainer: Just turned 34, best health in my life!


I really wish I had some drastic before and after photo and some Mike Chang 6 Pack Shortcut style advice.  That is not me. But this is me.



A tale of two photos. The first photo is of me at around 21 years of age. That is me, with a cigarette! An entire picture of beer?!?!? About to eat chicken wings? 

Second photo 33, after a half marathon, non-smoker, seldom drink, vegetarian?!?  What a difference 12 years makes.  I got a bit retrospective this month.  I just turned 34 and feeling a bit down about all the things I wanted to accomplish, but trying to focus on what I have accomplished.  What is my secret 13 years of slow incremental progress with plenty of setbacks…. Yeah!
I know. This does not sound like a lot of fun. Being as health conscious as I am is a fairly new development.  I was not born a personal trainer, nor did I start with fitness in high school. In fact, I skipped gym as much as possible. I ate vegetables by accident mostly and enjoyed a sedentary lifestyle. As I got older, did not get healthier at first. I was addicted to stress, my work/life balance was a mess and I was really losing a grip. I slowly started using exercise as a way to manage stress. With support from my wife, I finally was able to start focusing on my health.  Cutting out the unhealthy parts of my life and replacing them with healthy positive activities.

So, just like my recent accomplishment of running a half-marathon, I did not take a shortcut. Not a sprint, but a journey of one step at a time.


-Don’t chase fads: they lead to disappointment.
-Do it for yourself: this is your work and your benefit.
-Don’t beat yourself up for setbacks: Be compassionate to everyone, especially you.
-Most rewarding work is from the neck up.
-Find support where you can.
-Don’t look back: Like the song, you know. Learn from the past, but do not live there.

The last bit of wisdom I have after my 34th birthday is from Henry David Thoreau

“None are so old as those who have outlived enthusiasm.”

So I hope the enthusiasm I bring to my clients will keep me young!

No comments:

Post a Comment